Friday, September 23, 2011

Hope is good...




I hope that the Giants can sweep the Diamondbacks, but the West clearly belongs to Arizona, its theirs to win or loose.

I hope that the Giants can, baring the west, win the wild card, but it would require a continued collapse of the Braves AND the Cardinals.

I hope the 2011 season for the Giants is not over, but I am glad that it was more exciting over the last two weeks than I thought it would be.

I hope, going in to the winter break, that the unhealthy get healthy and are ready to go next year.

Tim Lincecum of the San Francisco Giants throws a pitch against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)I hope something can be worked out with Lincecum, I would prefer long term, but I doubt he wants to leave any money on the table,  Also, a short term contract lets him put some pressure on the GM to upgrade the offense.

Lincecum cannot be happy to be leaving wins on the table, he wants a few 20 game seasons.  Here are a few of his comments"

"I just don't know how I'm going to feel five years from now, or three years. That's why I'd kind of like to take things step by step and why I liked the deal I got last year."



"It's just easier for me mentally not to have to put that kind of pressure on yourself [...] when you're signed to a long-term deal, it's like saying, 'I'm going to live up to every expectation."


"That's why I like going year to year, so I can improve on it and not sit on what I've done."


Lincecum's two year deal was for $24 million, which is what Cliff lee is going to make next season.  He could easily walk into the Arbitration and ask for that as a starting point, settling for another two year deal worth $40 to $45 million.

San Francisco Giants right fielder Carlos Beltran (15) in a baseball game against the San Diego Padres in San Francisco, Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2011.I hope that the Giants can sign Carlos Beltran.  He has indicated that he would like to be back in SF; however, his agent the notorious Scott Boras, has indicated that at 34, Carlos may be looking for his last "blockbuster deal".

Take from that what you will.  Carlos may also be looking for a three to five year deal at $75 to $150 million.

Either way, with the injuries, the Giants didn't leave anything on the table and made quite a run for it considering.  I don't know what the change in CEO will mean to the payroll for 2012, we will see!

I will be looking forward to the spring.

Go Giants!

No comments:

Post a Comment